Experienced Barrister in Birmingham
Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Tel: 0121 246 7000
Outside working hours: 0330 350 0660
Iqbal is a specialist commercial barrister. He only undertakes commercial litigation, which includes insolvency and property. He is regularly instructed to apply for injunctions relating to commercial or property issues. He is frequently instructed to advise, draft and argue such injunctions and has tremendous experience of the District Registry in Birmingham.
He is familiar to the Circuit Judges (section 9 Judges) that deal with injunctions as well as the specialist District Judges, in Birmingham. Additionally, Iqbal acts in injunction applications nationwide.
He has considerable experience in the following kinds of injunctive relief applications:
Commercial injunctions: Injunctions restraining the use of trademarks or other intellectual property or data; resisting injunctions for breach of restrictive covenants in sale agreements or employment contracts; injunctions requiring access to or delivery up of machinery, vehicles or goods under hire purchase or lease agreements.
Iqbal acts for institutions, businesses and individuals. He regularly acts at very short notice on ex parte injunctions and short notice injunctions. He is known to be instructed after hours or on the weekend.
Property injunctions: Injunctions restoring possession after forfeiture or resisting such injunctions; injunctions requiring access to land; injunctions against trespassers including travellers on commercial property or land belonging to local authorities; injunctions restraining interference with or use of land, including restraining nuisance, protecting an easement or right of way.
Freezing orders: Iqbal has advised on and obtained freezing orders on a national and worldwide basis. He can advise on evidence, legal procedure and draft the orders.
Protection from Harassment Act 1997: Injunctions preventing harassment of individuals.
Iqbal can provide fixed fees set to three stages: (1) advice, application and ex parte hearing; (2) return date; and (3) pleadings.
Examples of Iqbal's injunction work in 2017:
• Advised on and drafted pleadings for an injunction restraining nuisance and harassment by neighbours
• Ex parte application to prevent possession of commercial property by a Receiver
• Application against a large convoy of trespassers taking up occupation on a large commercial site which prevented development work continuing
• Drafting letters of reply for a former director being pursued by his former company for breach of restrictive covenants after he set up a rival business
• Several applications for orders restoring possession of commercial properties seized by landlords where the tenant did not have a lease but otherwise paid substantial rent
• Obtained a freezing order against a person holding himself out to be an accountant who wrongly retained £30,000 from a client and disappeared; froze 7 of his English bank accounts and forcing him to repay the money