Experienced Barrister in Birmingham
Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Tel: 0121 246 7000
Outside working hours: 0330 350 0660
Iqbal is a specialist commercial barrister. He only undertakes commercial litigation, which includes real estate litigation and insolvency. Such claims may involve overlapping causes of action, such as negligence or restitution. His commercial practice includes:
Business & contractual disputes: Disputes involving the supply of commercial or business services; breach of contract claims; claims arising out of performance of contractors; share purchase disputes; claims under guarantees, indemnities or warranties; claims under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, Consumer Rights Act 2005 or Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.
Iqbal advises internet-based traders on the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.
Iqbal also advises on proceedings against companies registered in the EU (including the EEA). He is very familiar with the Brussels II Regulation ((EC) No 2201/2003), Lugano Convention and Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982.
Financial services & banking: Claims involving banks and financial institutions including the enforcement of financial agreements; claims against banks for mis-selling of financial products; disputes over hedging or swaps contracts or other financial instruments; claims under loan agreements or guarantees; disputes over facilities or other financial services; challenging legal charges or mortgage agreements.
Iqbal is regularly instructed by financial institutions such as banks, lenders and sub-prime lenders and has excellent knowledge of the financial services industry.
Property: Claims arising out of hire purchase, leased machinery or goods; damage to property (tortious interference); proceedings over title to goods; disputes relating to liens and bailment; theft of commercial data or designs.
Enforcement: Claims for possession or sale of mortgaged or charged land, indemnity claims, enforcement through bailiffs, High Court Enforcement Officers, Attachment to Earnings, Charging Orders, Third Party Debt Orders; enforcement of judgments in the European Union.
Costs: Any aspect of legal costs, including challenging costs orders, summary or detailed assessment or disputing solicitor's fees; costs management or costs budgeting.
Examples of Iqbal's commercial work in 2017:
• Advising on and drafting a claim exceeding £100,000 for unpaid invoices against a company in Switzerland, issued in the Commercial Court in London - Breach of contract/Foreign Company
• Advising on an investment through a Share Purchase Agreement, involving £500,000 which was misused by the company invested in - Breach of Contract/Misrepresentation/Rescission
• Acting in a claim where a bank is refused to credit payments towards a mortgage due to Money Laundering Regulations - Mortgages/Financial Regulation
• Acting in a 4 day trial where the client challenged a transfer of her property to her daughter on the grounds of undue influence and non est factum - Undue Influence
• Advising and representing a large media company involved in a dispute with an agent over mis-reported sales of £255,000 and unpaid invoices of £220,000 - Fraud/Breach of Contract/Agency
• Acting in claim involving a mortgage where the wife had not genuinely consented to the legal charge (Etridge type claim) and the bank sought to enforce a debt exceeding £260,000 - Mortgages/Undue Influence
• Defending a complex £130,000 claim arising out of a commercial mortgage with a Cypriot bank, which collapsed and whose debts were purchased by another company which sought to enforce the mortgages - Financial Regulation/Breach of Contract/Enforcement
• Acting for a numerous property developers who were sued for defective building work - Misrepresentation/Breach of Contract
• Advising on a claim involving the purchase of industrial vehicles which were defective - Sale of Goods/Breach of Contract